Sunday, September 19, 2010

THE GYPSY CHRONICLES

The Gypsy Chronicles by Alison Mackie

This is the hardest review I have done so far on the blog.  And then again, this is the first totally negative review I have done.

This story is based on stereotypes and considering the ongoing oppression of the Romani people it is beyond  trite and irrelevant.

Oh, yes, it is the story of enchanted Romani who can make matrimonial beds which increase the love and sexual prowess of all who sleep upon it.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Ms Mackie states in her book and I quote
"WHAT QUALIFIES ME TO WRITE ABOUT GYPSIES?
   During my formative years in Sevill, I had an Andalusian Gypsy nanny by the name of Ahalita.  Unable to bear children of her own, Ahalita poured all of her maternal affection upon me.......My mother felt her intense feelings for me bordered upon obsession....The time had come to let her go...
I feel that the residue of Ahalita's spirit is somehow linked with my own....."

Sort of reminds me of GONE WITH THE WIND, and hundreds of other statements by privledged white folk.
A white person having had an African American NANNY DOES NOT QUALIFY her to speak for Black people. 

I ask Ms Mackie to analyze her own class privledge in having a HIRED GYPSY NANNY and then her being let go when her mother thought she was TOO attached to her charge.  Does she comprehend the economic implications for Ahalita, her nanny ?

I must admit to having some personal correspondence with Ms Mackie which left me feeling exploited and vulnerable.  There is controversy over how she obtains some of her stories. 

I feel especially sad and confused because Ms. Mackie has a blog under the name Gypsy chronicles, which is quite good in publishing articles about the Roma.  I fear this is a ruse to get our trust.

I not only will not recommend this book but I shiver to think that it is one of a trilogy.
Save your money.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen my Flamenco paintings? Marvin Steel American Gypsy
    http://bulerias-decordoba.blogspot.com/ artfixer@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete