Sunday, June 27, 2010

BURY ME STANDING

Bury Me Standing, by Isabel Fonseca seems to be the gateway to the Romani for many interested people.  I've been asked many times what my opinion is of this book.

Actually, I recommend this book, especially to those interested in learning a bit about the history and experiences of the Romani people.  Isabel, a journalist, is a wonderfully gifted writer.  Her depiction of the history is wonderfully written, respectful and accurate.  My problems arise in part two, where she undertakes to analyze our culture.  This is especially disappointing as she says before (and I paraphrase) that one should never experience a culture for a brief time and then presume to analyze that culture.  Unfortunately, I find that she did that very thing.  Take that section with an open mind and a grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment