Saturday, June 19, 2010

GYPSIES: THE OTHER AMERICANS

I was just treated to one of the best hours I've had watching a movie.

Gypsies: The Other Americans, a film by Eric Metzger and Penelope Willens, is a fine example of cinema verite.

The movie consists of first person interviews and raw footage of a Slava (saint's day), a wedding and everyday life of a Kalderas tribe in Los Angeles, 1975

To me it was like watching home movies.  To those unfamiliar with the Romani people it may seem very different from your own experience.

Either way, I recommend this movie.  I'm sure it will raise some questions, specifically about marriage age.  I welcome the discussion. 
Please comment on this page or contact me directly at
punkaheron@yahoo.com
with any questions or comments.

To purchase this movie, please visit
http://www.tritonfilms.com/gypsiestheotheramericans.htm

For some good video reviews please visit:
http://www.tritonfilms.com/youtubegypsiestoa1.html
and
http://www.tritonfilms.com/youtubegypsiestoa2.html

I also want to state that this movie is about the Vlax Romani. They are the most conservative and traditional of all tribes in the United States.  I remind you that we are not a monolithic people though we do share a common core culture, history and oppression.  There are many other Gypsies in the U.S.

I really do encourage people who can afford it to buy this movie.  It's a great way to support Gypsy artists.  AND, movies like this are never available at libraries.  Shall we analyze what that says...

No comments:

Post a Comment