Wednesday, June 16, 2010

LATCHO DROM

Latcho Drom, by Tony Gatlif,  is a movie that I think everyone should watch.  It is the first movie about Gypsies, actually made by Gypsies.
It's a wonderful movie which tells the history of the Romani people, totally through our music.  It traces the route out of India, beginning in India and progressing through Egypt, Turkey, Romania, Hungary, the Czech Republic, France and ending in Spain.
Music is an appropriate device to use as Romani have an expression that man only created language so he could lie.  Perhaps, eh
I encourage everyone to watch Latcho Drom/Safe Journey and get up and dance.



I've been telling people that they could order Latcho Drom through their library, but the more I check, the more I discover that many copies of Latcho Drom have disappeared from the libraries.  This includes the King County Library System in Washington State.  Not quite sure what this says, but........
And today I learned that NetFlix does not have Latcho Drom either.
That surprises me because NetFlix does have several of Tony Gatlif's other movies, but not his most popular and celebrated.  Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment