Monday, July 5, 2010

THE ROADS OF THE ROMA: A PEN ANTHOLOGY OF GYPSY WRITERS

Every once in awhile, I pick up a book that I literally can't put down.  I find myself hugging it to my breast.   The Road of the Roma, edited by Ian Hancock, Siobhan Dowd and Rajko Djuric is such a book.
It is a compilation of poetry by Romani people, but it is even more than that.  It is an ode to the suffering, resilience and deep emotions of Romani.  Interspersed between the poems is a sobering chronology of the Romani experience.  It puts the poems in context, which adds to the intensity of the poetry.

Thank you Ian for this wonderful book.  Published by The University of Herfordshire Press, which is getting quite a reputation for its support of Romani writers.  I thank them also.

No comments:

Post a Comment