Sunday, August 15, 2010

OUR FORGOTTEN YEARS

Below is a link to the article I posted on the Lolo Diklo blog
http://www.lolodiklo.blogspot.com/

Lolo Diklo : Rromani Against Racism: MAGGIE SMITH-BENDELL: "Maggie Smith-Bendell was born on the edge of a pea field, the second of eight children in a family of old-fashioned Romany Gypsies. It was ..."

I've almost finished reading Our Forgotten Years and I'm finding myself stretching out the time till I've finished.  Maggie Smith-Bendell has become a friend I don't want to part with.
We've all read those kind of books.

Our Forgotten Years is a memoir which flows like the best crafted fiction.
Smith-Bendell relates the most horrific occurances in her everyday manner.  This emphasizes the insidiousness of the oppression of the Romani people.

Many people have asked me to recommend an introductory book for themselves and or book groups.  This is the book.  The fact that Smith-Bendell is a Romani woman in England makes it especially accessible to those here in the United States.

Our Forgotten Years is published by University of Herfordshire Press, an unfailing supporter of the Romani people and their literary contributions.

No comments:

Post a Comment